Sunday, December 19, 2010

Back on the Road

Last February I found myself homeless.  I had packed my bags and was living under the roofs of generous friends.  I left a few weeks later and the trend continued until April when I moved into my own flat in Auckland.  Ten months later I am back on the road again.  I have moved out of my flat and will now be bouncing from place to place... 

December/January:  Our office closes on December 24 and doesn’t open again until January 17 so I’ll have plenty of time to travel around during the holidays.  On the docket…lots of driving:  the Coromandel peninsula, Opononi on the south end of 90 mile beach, and possibly south to Wellington with a hike at Tongariro along the way.  And as a little present for the New Year, I’m going to rustle up some graham crackers and marshmallows from the American store to have some proper s’mores over the holidays.

February:  Look out world, as of February 3, I will be unemployed.  Why would I quit a perfectly good job in a gorgeous country?  Well, I clearly live in a world of denial so what better way to spend that time then on the South Island.  In a land of adventure and beauty with glaciers and mountains galore.  And I get to share it all with my dad and his partner, Debbie, when they come over to meet me in Christchurch

March/April:  On March 8 I will be tearing myself away from New Zealand but since it wasn’t enough to travel straight home I am flying to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia where I will start a few more months of living in denial in places I’ve never been.  Along the way I get to spend time with my best friend in Southern Thailand and my mom who will be backpacking with me for the majority of the trip.  And at the end of it all, when the money runs out and I just can’t see another temple or eat any more rice, I’ll be flying back to the US to face reality sometime around the beginning of May.

Only time will tell what’s really in store for me in the next few months, but I do know I have a busy month of planning ahead.  Let the fun begin…

Merry Christmas everyone!

Things to be thankful for:
- Snowy white days
- Cold weather that makes you want to stay in and snuggle up
- White lights on everything making the city light up when the dark falls at 5p
- Christmas carols that start after Thanksgiving
...Christmas just isn't the same without these wonderful things.

No comments:

Post a Comment