Monday, April 26, 2010

My Humble Abode


Three weeks ago I decided it was time to get serious about the apartment hunting.  Two weeks ago I set up an appointment to meet with potential flatmates and check out the space.  One week ago I moved in.  This weekend we had our housewarming party.

I found a furnished apartment just south of the downtown Auckland area.  It’s within walking distance of shops, a grocery store, a running path, and other great conveniences of the city.  I met with my potential flatmates after coming in from being on the boat.  I was soaking wet, wearing my swimsuit under my clothes, and instead of arriving late as I had feared, I arrived 15 minutes early.  Despite all of this, they still thought I would be worth keeping around. 

Originally I planned to move into a small bedroom (it literally only fits a twin bed and nightstand – no closet), however, my good sense won out over my tight budget.  Since I haven’t lived with anyone for over three years I decided some space might be nice.  My room is now on the lower level with a window that looks out onto our front entry way.  Now, after spending over $200 on bedding and other random things for the room, I am starting to feel like I have a home. 

My flatmates are from all over the world and so far we get along really well.  I live with a German girl, Indian guy, English girl, and another American girl.  It’s a four bedroom, two bathroom, three level town home in Parnell.

Next on the social calendar: my 30th birthday.  It has officially been decided we will have a fancy dress party (which you may have noticed is on my list of things to do while I’m here).  The question is, do I dress as a Cowgirl or an Indian?

About the photos: Front of town house; second level with an open floor plan (living room, dining room, kitchen, balcony); my bedroom on the day I moved in.

1 comment:

  1. OH my gosh how fun to live with such a diverse group!! Jess I'm jsut sooo proud of you for going after all of this!

    ReplyDelete