Monday, February 8, 2010

And so it begins

Well, I've done it.  I'm heading to New Zealand in just 28 days.  I have recently decided to make a big (albeit, potentially brief) change in my life.  I have a flight booked for March 9, arriving in Auckland on the 11th (via Los Angeles).  My goal is to stay at least 2 months.  If I can find work, I may stay for up to 12, just to see what it's like to live like a Kiwi.

Since purchasing my ticket, I've been so excited that complete strangers are learning my plans (sometimes before my closest friends and family).  The woman at the bank who changed my address wished me luck, the kid that helped me with phone questions at T-Mobile was stoked, the guy at the Apple store showing me the wonderous benefits of the new iPod Nano thought it was totally cool, and even the Air New Zealand employee who helped me book my plane ticket was keen to hear about my plans.

I have been ridiculously giddy, for lack of a better term,...and just as it builds to near bursting levels, it hits me.  The fear.  The reality of what I am setting out to do brings me crashing back down.  I'm leaving my job, my friends, my family, most of my possessions, my cat, and my apartment to embark on a trip that will take me halfway around the world to who knows what.  My family is fully supportive of this move but that's not completely surprising because, as one friend put it, I come from a family of nomads (and adventurers).  And my friends may think I'm a bit nuts but for the most part they have been supportive, excited, and even at times a bit envious. 

So I continue on my emotional roller coaster ride, careening around the corners, and up and down the hills, silently screaming with excitement and fear the whole way.  All I can hope is that this ride, like the others, will end safely, leaving me with an adrenaline rush, very few bumps and bruises, an awesome experience, and the urge to jump right back in the line to do it all again.

Personal goals:
- Celebrate my 30th birthday in New Zealand
- Experience a new country and culture
- Discover what it's like to leave my security behind
- Create the stories to tell when I'm 90

No comments:

Post a Comment